Town man sentenced for unregistered machine guns

A Greenwich man was sentenced last week to 12 months and one day of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for possessing unregistered machine guns.

Thomas Belluci, 51, was also ordered to serve two months of home confinement immediately after his release from prison, perform 100 hours of community service and pay a $6,000 fine.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on Aug. 22, 2011, Greenwich police encountered Mr. Belluci at his residence on Cutler Road after a neighbor reported that shots had been fired on Mr. Belluci’s property.

Mr. Belluci, who was alone in the house, initially stated that he did not hear any gunshots and he allowed officers to enter his home. He then showed officers only one side of the house, claimed that the living room encompassed the entire house and that there was no second floor to the house. After Mr. Belluci led the officers through a door, which he at first stated was to a closet but, in fact, led to a hallway that opened into other rooms, he ran into a room and locked the door.

According to police, two officers then forced opened the door and spotted Mr. Belluci bent over several long gun cases that were on the floor. When the officers asked him if he had fired a weapon earlier, he admitted that he had fired a handgun out of his kitchen window. However, he would not tell the officers where the firearm was. The officers then attempted to restrain Mr. Belluci, but he resisted, struggled with one officer and ultimately had to be Tased by the other in order to be subdued. He was then placed into an ambulance and taken to the hospital.

A subsequent search of Mr. Belluci’s home revealed more than 160 firearms, including 10 machine guns, at least eight of which were operational and fired multiple rounds with a single squeeze of the trigger. Officers seized the firearms, as well as thousands of rounds of ammunition and other accessories. None of the machine guns were registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

Because of that, Mr. Belluci was arrested on federal charges last May 11 and was detained until his release on a $500,000 surety bond on July 30. On OcT. 9, he pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful possession of a machine gun.

He has been ordered to report to prison on Feb. 14. This matter was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Greenwich Police Department. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Rahul Kale.

[email protected]

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress