Greenwich girls hockey uses three-goal third to stun Wilton, 4-3

The Greenwich High School girls ice hockey team used a little third period magic yesterday afternoon to get by Wilton High School.

Trailing 3-1 heading into the final period, the Cardinals scored three times, the last goal with 4:37 to play, and beat the Warriors 4-3 at the SoNo Ice House.

Some times when teams are down, they completely fall apart,” said Erin Ferguson, who scored the first of the game for Greenwich. “This shows that we can come back from anything and get the momentum going.”

After scoring two quick goals to start the third period, Greenwich and Wilton were exchanging scoring opportunities, however it was Big Red that came through late.

With 4:37 on the clock, Ciel McDermid took the initial shot on net that was saved. However, Emily Bacon was in the perfect spot, getting a stick on the puck off the rebound and pushing it past the Wilton goalie for the 4-3 lead.

“We couldn’t regroup until we had the ice cut at the end of the second period,” Greenwich head coach Brett Farson said. “I wanted them to hold the puck and make plays. I wanted more composure all around. More communication all around. It was nothing different. The things that we had to do, we needed to do perfectly to make the comeback.”

Although Greenwich was behind 3-0, they tallied a goal with 4:49 gone by in the second period.

On the power play, Ferguson charged the Wilton net and pushed the puck past the WHS goalie to cut the lead to 3-1.

“I knew that I had to try and get things started,” Ferguson said. “Trying to score is my key goal and to get the team going. That goal started our rally and got us pretty fired up.”

With only 55 seconds gone by in the third period, Greenwich made it a one-goal game when Bacon scored her first goal of the game going to the left side of the WHS goalie and blasting a shot in the net.

Two minutes later, Big Red scored the equalizer. While pushing the tempo of the game, McDermid took the pass from Bacon on the right side of the net and unloaded a shot that went in the top corner to make the score 3-3.

“In the first two periods, we weren’t coming out strong enough,” Caroline Lee said. “Then after the second, coach told us to step it up. We all did that. We put our defense on the forward and she scored two goals. We also communicated more in the third period. I am so proud of this team.”

Early on, the game belonged to Wilton’s Nicole Lue, who scored the natural hat trick for the Warriors and helped them get to a 3-0 lead.

After Lue scored her first goal while blasting a shot in the lower right corner, she sprinted to the loose puck at center ice and darted towards the GHS goalie for her second goal.

“You got to be a little prepared for each game and obviously they caught us a little off-guard,” Farson said. “The same person scored three goals in the first 10 minutes.”

To read more on the game and to see how the Greenwich girls ice hockey team is faring this season, check out Thursday’s Greenwich Post.


By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress