Greenwich Library: Electrification of the New Haven railroad

Rick Abramson, a 44-year veteran of the CT railways, returns to Greenwich Library Saturday, March 5, at 2 p.m. to discuss how the electrification of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad made rail travel more efficient and attractive.

In 1907, the first electrified train service opened between Stamford and Woodlawn N.Y. It was extended to New Haven in 1914. The railway’s unusual design included an overhead triangular catenary (hanging wire) which provided the electricity. In 1982, the wire structure was designated a National Historical Engineering Landmark.

Since age six, Abramson had been fascinated with trains, both real and model. His dream of working for the railroad came true in February of 1968 when he was hired by the New Haven Railroad, holding a variety of positions over the years such as freight agent, station supervisor, locomotive engineer, train dispatcher and superintendent. Abramson recently retired as Superintendent of Operations for the Housatonic Railroad in Canaan, CT.

Rick is an avid model railroad hobbyist. His models are known for their detail and accuracy. He attends many model train events in New England, and has written for many hobby magazines.

This Local History program is made possible through the support of the Greenwich Library Board of Trustees and contributions by generous donors. The presentation is open to all at no charge and will be held in the Library Meeting Room. Register using the Library’s online calendar or contact Carl White, Local History Librarian at[email protected] or call (203) 622-7948.

NewHavenElectric

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress