A view from the Greenwich WGCH Press Box

I pride myself on doing the best broadcast possible. So when things go astray, I get upset. Let’s go to last Friday night at Fairfield Ludlowe High School, when the Falcons hosted the Cardinals, a game that, of course, was broadcast live on WGCH.

Things went as normally planned in the pregame. I was allowed into the press box nice and early, and set things up. Chris Erway and Chris Kaelin were both stuck on good ol’ Interstate 95, but our newest edition, Max Barefoot (handling stats) was there in plenty of time, as was Ryan DeMaria. So far, so good.


I called into Sean Kilkelly, our czar of the studio, who said he couldn’t hear us. That’s when things began to melt down. But, as always, panic wasn’t necessary, because Sean was able to hear us right before we went on the air. The crisis had been averted!

If only things went that smoothly. Communication continued to drop — I could hear Sean, but he couldn’t hear me (at times). My guess was a bad cable. It couldn’t have been the phone. Heck, we were right next to I-95. Had to have a good signal, right?

It made for a harrowing night. Normally I’ll grumble to the Playmakers off the air about these things, but when it all fell apart, and I was calling the game by holding the phone, thus eliminating the rest of the team and the fans, I couldn’t hold back any longer. I’m not going to deny that I was furious. It is embarrassing to me because I hold myself to a certain level.

I can be a bit of a perfectionist. No harm in that, of course. I believe in giving you, the listener, the best broadcast possible. Now, of course there are critics, and I accept that. I don’t want to add any fuel to their fire! At the same time, it is also important for me to keep our fans happy, because they have a standard set for what we do.

Ultimately, I can’t tell you for sure what happened. It could have been a bad signal. It could have been a bad cable. But I can tell you this: a day later, when Chris Kaelin, Ryan DeMaria and I called the Brunswick/Berkshire game, everything worked perfectly.

Can I chalk it up to a bad night? Too easy. So I’ll be reviewing our equipment and going through everything to make sure we’re ready for the next road broadcast (tomorrow, when Stamford hosts, coincidentally, Ludlowe).

Technical glitches happen, folks. They happen at every level. Sometimes there is nothing we can do about it. I just refuse to accept it.

You deserve our best.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress