Girls basketball: Greenwich advances in FCIACs


Colleen Bennett of Greenwich battles Trumbull’s Alyssa Breunig for a loose ball in the Cardinals’ 51-41 FCIAC quarterfinal round victory at Westhill High on Saturday. (Mike Suppe photo)

Abbie Wolf scored 18 points to power the Greenwich High girls basketball team to a 51-41 FCIAC quarterfinal win over Trumbull at Westhill High in Stamford on Saturday afternoon.

The third-seeded Cardinals improved to 18-3 overall and will play second-seeded Fairfield Warde (19-2) on Tuesday night at 6 p.m. at Fairfield Ludlowe High School in the semifinals. The winner will face either top-seeded Wilton High or No. 5 seed Ridgefield in the final on Thursday at 7 p.m. at Ludlowe.

“I loved the way our team played as far as chemistry and keeping our composure under pressure,” Greenwich head coach Chrys Hernandez said. “We want to keep that momentum going into the rest of playoffs and postseason.”

Jamie Kockenmeister added 12 points for Greenwich, which saw a double-digit third-quarter lead whittled away by the sixth-seeded Eagles (15-6).

A layup from Kate O’Leary narrowed Trumbull’s gap to 41-39 with 3:37 left to play.

The Eagles then forced an airballed 3-pointer attempt on the other end, but the 6-foot-3 Wolf snared the rebound, tossed in the putback and drew a foul.

“Overall, I think we had a lot of big plays in clutch moments,” Hernandez said. “They put a lot of pressure on us. Trumbull, give them credit, their defense is very good. It’s swarming.”

After converting the three-point play, Big Red had a 41-37 lead and Trumbull never got back within four points the rest of the way.

Amanda Pfohl led the Eagles with a game-high 19 points and Kalisse Eldridge chipped in with 11.

Pfohl scored seven points over the final 76 seconds of the first period, sparking a 7-2 Eagle run that pulled them within 18-16 after one. Pfohl then drilled a 3-pointer with 3:08 left in the second quarter to keep Trumbull with striking distance at the half, where Greenwich held a 28-22 edge.

“We fell asleep a little bit at the end of the second quarter,” Hernandez said. “I went in there and talked at halftime, we reevaluated what we needed to do and we came out here and handled the ball a little bit better.”

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress