Railroad Avenue accident causes gas leak concerns, company says there is no danger

UPDATED FRIDAY 4:30 PM — A spokesman for Connecticut Natural Gas says there is no danger in the area of Railroad Avenue after a truck accidentally struck a gas meter Friday afternoon, causing what the police called a “significant leak.”

Greenwich fire and police personnel are at the scene of the accident which took place at 33 Railroad Avenue, which is the Greenwich office for Connecticut Light & Power. According to Bob Brennan, a spokesman for Connecticut Natural Gas, a truck struck a gas meter along the side of the building, causing damage. Several people reported smelling natural gas in the air but Mr. Brennan said personnel were on scene already and were able to turn the gas off within a minute.

 

Mr. Brennan said that the building was evacuated as a precaution but that people are already back in and that there is no danger in the area.

According to Greenwich Police Department Lt. Kraig Gray, the incident took place shortly after 1 p.m. and that there were no injuries, but the meter was dislodged, causing the leakage. The odor of the natural gas could be smelled as far away as West Putnam Avenue. This caused train service on the nearby Metro North line to be temporarily suspended and for the area to be closed off to traffic. Nearby buildings were evacuated but that was all cleared by 3 p.m. All trains are back on schedule.

Greenwich-post.com will have more details as they become available.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress