Police confirm one Greenwich girl killed, another seriously injured after boating accident

Police are investigating after one teenage Greenwich girl was killed and another seriously injured in what appears to be a tragic boating accident on Wednesday.

Police have not released the name of the victim, pending the notification of family, but confirmed that the 16-year-old girl was killed after an incident on Long Island Sound. Another girl received what police called “serious but not life threatening injuries” and is being treated at Stamford Hospital.

Greenwich Emergency Medical Services (GEMS) Director of Operations Joe Soto told the Post that two other girls, who were in the boat at the time of the incident, were taken to Greenwich Hospital for evaluation.

Greenwich Police Department Public Information Officer Lt. Kraig Gray said a 911 call was received at approximately 2 p.m. on Wednesday about the incident, which involved a privately owned vessel with an outboard motor. Lt. Gray said the vessel was towing the two girls, who were on an inner tube at the time, when it suddenly stopped short. The inner tube did not stop, though, and it became “entangled with the propeller” causing the fatal injuries to the girl.

Lt. Gray said he did not know why the vessel stopped and that the investigation is continuing.

“Right now this really appears to be a tragic sequence of events,” Lt. Gray said. “The girls were out having a good time and unfortunately this can be dangerous.”

The GPD is conducting a joint investigation into the incident with the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) since the fatal incident took place on the water. The GPD’s Marine Division responded to the scene after the 911 call and was still there into Wednesday evening working with the DEEP.

Lt. Gray said there were four girls in total involved, the two girls on the inner tube and two others in the boat. He confirmed that all four are Greenwich residents and that while he wasn’t sure of the relationship between the four of them he “believed them all to be friends.” The vessel was in the water traveling between Greenwich’s islands in Long Island Sound at the time of the incident.

When asked if there was any indication of alcohol consumption, Lt. Gray said that the preliminary investigation was that this was a “tragic accident.” He said he could not answer yet if the driver of the boat was fully licensed since the investigation was still in its preliminary stages.

“This investigation will be as thorough as possible,” Lt. Gray said.

Dennis Schain, director of communications for DEEP, could not be immediately reached for comment.

Greenwich Selectman Drew Marzullo responded to the scene in his role working as a paramedic for GEMS and spoke to the Post afterwards.

“Today’s tragedy has resulted in profound sadness that no words would ever come close to expressing how this young girls family must be feeling,” Mr. Marzullo said, noting he was speaking as a selectman. “My thoughts and prayers are with them.”

The Post will have more information as it becomes available.

[email protected]

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress