Rent rebate available

Greenwich seniors could well be eligible for a state rebate off their rent this year.

Applications are being accepted now through Sept. 15 at the Greenwich Department of Social Services for the state program that is for senior citizens and disable people. In order to qualify, a person must be 65-years-old as of Dec. 31, 2001 or receive Social Security disability payments and have lived in Connecticut for at least a year.

Additionally there are income guidelines as well. Married couples must not exceed $39,500 in income and single people must not exceed $32,300.

As part of the application, all income including Social Security, from the Social Security Form SSA-1099, must be reported and documented. This includes, but is not limited to: Pensions, interest on bank accounts, dividends and wages. If a 2011 federal income tax return was filed, then a copy will be required as part of the application.

An applicant will also have to offer proof of rent and utility payments for every month they were renting. Receipts or canceled checks are acceptable.

For more information and to make an appointment call the Department of Social Services at 203-622-3800.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress