Flags vandalized again, repairs swiftly done

Vandals have once again struck the American flags placed along the Mianus River Bridge, but repairs have already been made.

According to Cos Cob Volunteer Fire Company Chief John Pugni three of the flag poles were snapped, but unlike the first incident, the flags themselves were not stolen. The incident appears to have happened Saturday night. Chief Pugni said he drove by the flags at 8:30 p.m. and said everything was fine but then he got a call at approximately two hours later telling him that the flagpoles had been snapped.

Chief Pugni and others in the fire company, which has sponsored the flags for this year, quickly replaced the poles and the flags were flying normally by the end of the night. In an interview with the Post on Sunday morning, Chief Pugni said that the poles are fiberglass so they can’t simply be broken in half, they splinter when they’re snapped, making it difficult for someone to simply break off the flags. He suggested that perhaps someone had come upon the vandals or they left the scene for another reason and that’s why the flags were not removed this time.

 

This is the second vandalism against the flags, which have been up since Memorial Day weekend along the Mianus River Bridge. The flags, which have been embraced as a beloved community symbol, are set to be up until winter and Chief Pugni insisted that hasn’t changed. He added that he hopes things “don’t get crazy” with this, however.

The first incident took place late in the night on July 3. In that instance several of the flag poles were snapped and the flags were removed. Police have an open investigation into the first incident and the Post asked Chief Pugni if he believed the same people might have been involved with the second vandalism.

“It’s impossible to speculate,” Chief Pugni said. “It could very well be the same people or it could be people who saw what happened the first time and thought it would be funny to copy someone else’s foolish act.”

Chief Pugni said he hoped that the flags would not now become a target for vandals.

There will be additional coverage in the July 19 edition of the Post.

 

[email protected]

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress