Metro North releases plan for commuters impacted by explosion

UPDATED WEDNESDAY 1 P.M. — Metro-North Railroad service into and out of New York City’s Grand Central Terminal remains suspended Wednesday afternoon  after an explosion in Harlem killed at least two people. Now plans have been released to help Connecticut commuters.

New York City firefighters are still  investigating a possible explosion at a building at 116th St. and Park Avenue in Manhattan that was reported at about 9:30 a.m. Initial reports are that this was caused by a gas leak.

Aaron Donovan, spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, said MTA workers were removing debris from the building that fell onto the tracks. Donovan said the stoppage is a precaution. Trains are being instructed to stop at the nearest station where conductors will be given further orders, he said. The nearest station to Grand Central is the Harlem-125th St. station.

Mr. Donovan said it’s unclear when traffic into Grand Central will resume, but he expects traffic will return to normal in time for the evening rush hour.

To deal with Connecticut commuters impacted by this service suspension, Metro North released a plan Wednesday afternoon.

Connecticut Metro-North customers are being told to use subway trains to connect until further notice as investigation into the building explosion continues.

New Haven and Harlem line customers heading into the city will get off of Metro-North at the Harlem line stations, Wakefield or Woodlawn in the Bronx and walk to the New York City subway No. 2 train to go to Manhattan. Those heading north should take the No. 5 train to East 180th St. and transfer to the No. 2 train heading north to 223rd St. to walk to the Woodlawn station.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress