Firefighters ‘Proud to Wear Pink’ in October

Pink Ribbon stockFirefighters wearing pink is not a common sight, but for the month of October, Greenwich firefighters will proudly swap their regular department shirts for blue and pink ones, in support of the fight against breast cancer.

The firefighters will also sell both blue and pink T-shirts during this “Proud to Wear Pink” campaign during October as part of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

“The Greenwich Fire Department recognizes that breast cancer affects many women in our community,” said Tom Pitasi, a firefighter with the department. “Recently some of the members’ spouses have been affected by the disease making the cause even more personal to the department.”

On Saturday, Sept. 28, at the Greenwich Senior Center, the department will kick off its campaign by selling pink T-shirts and taking donations to help support breast cancer research, awareness, education and treatment in the state of Connecticut. Proceeds will benefit the Connecticut affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the Breast Center at Greenwich Hospital. Benefited organizations and the firefighters will also be on hand at the event to provide information about breast cancer.

“While monetary donations are vital to the breast cancer fight, education and information is equally important” said Mr. Pitasi. “As there is currently no cure for breast cancer, early detection is the best way to help save lives. We want to ensure that women have access to the information they need.”

Connecticut has the second highest incidence of breast cancer in the United States. Each year more than 3,000 women in the state are diagnosed with breast cancer. Several towns within Fairfield County are among those with the highest rates of breast cancer incidence, mortality and late stage diagnosis.

Komen Connecticut invests 75% of the net proceeds from community fund-raisers locally, in education, screening and treatment programs for Connecticut women. The other 25% supports national research initiatives to help find a cure.

For additional information about Proud to Wear Pink or to purchase a T-shirt supporting breast cancer visit GreenwichFire.org/Pink.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. The Greenwich Post, 10 Corbin Drive, Floor 3, Darien, CT 06820

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress